Forums » Community Watch

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

IRS Lawsuit Telephone Scam is Back!

• 220 posts
    July 18, 2017 8:24:02 AM PDT

My answering machine recorded 2 calls that came in this morning, at 4 and 6 a.m.! It starts with a female voice saying, "The IRS has filed a lawsuit against you, blah, blah, blah."

Websites who monitor these scams tell you:

"The IRS will never make initial contact with you over the phone – only through certified mail."

Just a heads up so you don't fall for it.

• 1030 posts
    August 13, 2017 7:42:09 AM PDT
    When the scammer calls and you want to mess with them either answer or call them back and start my anti scam sequence....
    What is your real name, bosses name, what agency, what state are you in, what town are you in, business name, business address, business license number, tax payer ID number, your social security number, are you married, spouses social security number, where do you live, where does your spouse work, how many kids, what school are they in, what are their social security numbers, what do you look like, hair color......
    They tend to not want to answer the questions and tell you they can’t because of safety /security reasons. They tend to say it is a legitimate call and they blame you for wasting their time. I tell them I am handicapped and have no place to go and can do this all day long is it ok if I call back tomorrow?
    • 2564 posts
    August 15, 2017 11:25:54 PM PDT
    Historical note. The IRS did use Private Collection Agencies from 2006 to 2009.
    http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/2013-Annual-Report/downloads/The-IRS-Private-Debt-Collection-Program-A-Comparison-of-Private-Sector-and-IRS.pdf
    For the most part IRS was better at collecting taxes than were the Private Collection Agencies.
    I'm not going to comment on "contracting out" tax collection as an inherently government function.
    • 1526 posts
    August 18, 2017 4:38:07 PM PDT
    Received that call yesterday afternoon....hung up.
    • 1526 posts
    August 18, 2017 4:38:22 PM PDT
    Oh, Loma Rica