Forums » Local & National Politics

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

State of Jefferson: bipartisan congress

• 2564 posts
    July 8, 2017 11:31:14 AM PDT
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/07/opinion/how-to-make-congress-bipartisan.html?emc=edit_th_20170708&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837
    Incumbents are from landslide districts. Incumbents like it that way. No need to run on a platform of issues.
    Power shifts to the Executive Branch. Congress is polarized to the extent  of inaction. Congress refuses to legislate.
    Rural voters plan to secede. The state of Jefferson. Redistricting and reapportionment does not balance voters. Except the incumbents insist on maintaining the status quo. Or as Custer said on his last mission. "Don't change anything until I get back."
    California is considering redistricting the election of the forty Senators. At large elections of off the table. That means one man one vote. Which means the city votes win. At large voting would require voters to vote for every senator. Every senatorial candidate would have to campaign throughout the state. Which, to me, would be a good thing.
    Rural senators would have to educate ALL the voters on the need for things such as Vegetation Management Plans, watershed management, groundwater management, zoning in flood plains, flood management, and a very long list of things that the public does not get a chance to participate in. Things that the people that live in the woods live with every day. Things the people in cities have never seen or heard. Or if they have seen or heard it was in a story written by a city dweller.
    A weak point is that talk radio will flood the airwaves with messages against at large voting as an Agenda 21 threat to our freedoms.

• 2564 posts
    July 8, 2017 11:41:17 AM PDT
    67 pages: The Act:
    https://beyer.house.gov/uploadedfiles/fair_representation_act.pdf
    • 631 posts
    July 10, 2017 9:07:01 AM PDT
    Dick, this bill is proposed by a Democrat and supported by the New York Times, that alone should tell you it is meant to favor the Democrats. Gerrymandering is illegal, but it continues to happen. It's the population centers that control the states now. California had 3 million votes more for the Democrats then for Republicans. Our choice for Senator was two Democrats.

As I read this op-ed you eliminate the lowest vote getter and then give the seat to the top vote getter and continue the process until all the seats are filled.

Since more people are moving to the Cities instead of rural areas this means over time all of the United States will be controlled by the Democrats just like California. The one man one vote ruling by the Supreme Court is what got California in the mess it is in. This thinking that ignored the U.S. constitution and the California Constitution was made in the early 50's and look how long it took for this state to be destroyed.

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe. Thomas Jefferson.
    • 2564 posts
    July 11, 2017 1:07:06 PM PDT
    Dave, thanks for the reply. Agreed, the intent of having a Senate was, to me, a way of countering the "mob rule" of the House of Representatives.
    States with less population would still get a voice in governing.
    To me, the "one man, one vote" is a farce. Take County Supervisors for instance. We in the Fifth District do not have the opportunity to vote for the other four supervisors. Yet the other four supervisors are free to decide whatever they want, Ignoring us in the Fifth District. To me, that is not a "Republican" or "Democrat" issue. The issue is unscrupulous people using the law to their advantage and to our disadvantage. Tied to this is the misinformation of identifying the abuse as a party issue. The XVII amendment of 1913 was intended to stop the abuses of big money buying (or renting) senators and the people who elected senators. But in the process introduced more temptations and opportunities for the unscrupulous to game the system. In my opinion, the people of the United States are so turned off by politics, they refuse to participate in public matters.