Forums » Local & National Politics

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

Representation Equality Act

• 2564 posts
    June 8, 2017 11:11:10 AM PDT

https://www.facebook.com/AssemblymanJamesGallagher/videos/1683126485315568/

Distribute California's 40 Senators into 8 geographic districts, each with five senators. As compared to apportionment accordign to population.

Seems to be consisstent with the seventeenth amendment in regard to direct election by the people. The people in the geographic area would get representation for their particular situation. As it is, senators are elected by population. Changing a bicameral legislature will meet opposition from the masses of people. To get the change requires a majority of ALL voters. Which means retaining the status quo. Unless the majority of ALL voters can be persuaded of the benefits of weighted representation by geographic area.

• 362 posts
    June 9, 2017 9:50:33 AM PDT
    An exercise in futility.
    • 2564 posts
    June 9, 2017 10:36:24 AM PDT
    clipper said:
    An exercise in futility.

Futile, to me, means pointless. For clarification, Clipper, what is pointless? The effort to get representation? Somenthing else?

• 631 posts
    June 10, 2017 8:18:05 AM PDT
    It was in the 50's that the Warren Court changed how state Senators in California were elected. Originally each county, geographic districts, elected a Senator. The cities, Democrats, sued because the rural counties were controlling the state. The cities said they weren't equally represented and this was unfair, so the supreme court changed the election of state Senators to one man one vote. Now, why don't we sue since we, the rural counties, don't have a voice in our state government? Incidentally, this was the same court that changed the interpretation of the separation of Church and State and a lot of other laws.
    • 1526 posts
    June 10, 2017 9:08:11 AM PDT
    Pointless: without purpose.
    • 2564 posts
    June 10, 2017 11:19:32 AM PDT
    dpietz said:
    It was in the 50's that the Warren Court changed how state Senators in California were elected.
    Dave. is the reference to the Warren Court case of Reynolds v. Sims?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_v._Sims
    The decision reflected the sense of political correctness of the fifties.
    What was  not considered was the geographic area under consideration. The decision made gerrymandering worse.
    Take Yuba County's supervisor districts. County population seventy thousand, five districts, 14,000 residents per district. How many are eligible to register? How many who are eligible actually register? How many of those who register actually vote? Of those who vote, how many does it take to win the election?
    There are supervisor elections where the loser in the Fifth District garners more votes than the total votes cast in two other districts. The result is four supervisors over ride the lone supervisor who collected the most votes. People who live in that district do not have an opportunity to vote for the other four supervisors. Is this one man one vote?
    San Mateo County, I believe, is the only county in California's fifty-eight counties that elects its supervisors at large. Every voter gets to vote for every supervisor.
    What is the supervisor's definition of constituent? Someone who put an X by their name? Someone who voted? Someone who registered? Someone who lives in the area? Someone who  made a contribution?
    There were four California Counties (circa 1964 to 2010) under the cloud of unequal representation. Yuba was one. Because of military residents, the voting districts were skewed. Even special districts had to get federal permission to hold an election.
    I think California should adopt at large selection of the forty senators. Every voter would vote for every candidate. Each candidate would have to campaign in all 58 counties. Senate duties would be to represent the interests in the geographic area to support the entire state. Water? Timber? Agriculture? Aggregate? High Tech? Solar power? Fish? Education? Prisons?
    • 2564 posts
    June 10, 2017 7:33:42 PM PDT
    California is one of thirteen states that uses independent commissions for redistricting.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redistricting
    California is among the states that have opted to protect the incumbents, regardless of party. Which, in my opinion divides the population along political lines, rather than along decisions about land use or taxation or education or policing or legislation. I would rather see districts that encourage political discussion. For example If I were to ask a Board of Supervisors to state their county's definition of health, I would not expect to be gaveled down and invited to go perform an un natural act upon myself.
    • 4977 posts
    June 11, 2017 11:33:10 AM PDT
    We're a liberal state. That's not an opinion.

Does anyone think we can actually get our leadership and/or voters allow the change to happen?
    Does the effort to create the State of Jefferson help this cause?
    • 1526 posts
    June 11, 2017 12:00:56 PM PDT
    Did ya'll know: Our fricking gov just stopped funding the FFA? Great, huh. The libs always leave us californians with shit when they leave. Well, actually. shwartz en whatever wasn't any better!
    • 2564 posts
    June 11, 2017 12:12:34 PM PDT
    2Grands said:
    I agree.
    Does anyone think we can actually get our leadership and/or voters allow the change to happen?
    Not under the existing groundrules. The emphasis is on differences, not the identification of similarities.
    In my opinion the state of Jefferson does not help the cause. The effort to create the state of Jefferson opens the discussion to identify solutions to an undefined problem.
    In your own words, please define the problem
    • 4977 posts
    June 11, 2017 5:03:13 PM PDT
    We have leadership that votes/runs/spends in their own best interest. Getting them to change the status quo involves voter education and rocking the status quo. That is going to be very, very hard.
    • 631 posts
    June 12, 2017 6:51:21 AM PDT
    California got this way by a lawsuit that went to the Supreme Court that ignored the Constitution, it can be changed by a Supreme Court that upholds the Constitution.
    • 8 posts
    June 13, 2017 6:45:25 AM PDT
    DickBoyd said:
    2Grands said:
    I agree.
    Not under the existing groundrules. The emphasis is on differences, not the identification of similarities.
    In my opinion the state of Jefferson does not help the cause. The effort to create the state of Jefferson opens the discussion to identify solutions to an undefined problem.
    In your own words, please define the problem
    • 8 posts
    June 13, 2017 7:06:27 AM PDT
    The problem is the rural counties do not have equal representation with the more populated southern counties. We have one senator for 6 counties while LA county has 11 senators! Rural North California has only 5 equivalent representatives under the dome in Sacramento, compared to the 114 which represent the massive populations of the Bay Area, Los Angeles and Sacramento. The State of Jefferson would solve that problem by dividing California into two states. There are now 23 counties pledged to the State of Jefferson with more interested. When the State of Jefferson happens we will have representation starting at the county level. Our taxes will stay at the county level to do the improvements the current state government will not do. I refer you to www.soj51.org The State of Jefferson movement is growing very quickly. SOJ has filed a lawsuit against California for lack of representation. Just had a large rally at the state capitol which was covered by the news. Yuba County chapter to open soon!
    • 631 posts
    June 13, 2017 7:11:01 AM PDT
    No, the only way this will change is the same way it happened, that is through a law suit that will go all the way to the Supreme Court. Even the State of Jefferson knows this and knows it will take court action for the two state split. The Warren Court ignoring the Constitution is what caused most all of the political garbage that is happening now, so now the solution is the Supreme Court to correct that problem. If Kennedy resigns or any of the other liberal judges die, than President Trump will have the opportunity to pick another constitutional judge and that is when real change back to the constitution can take place.