Forums » Local & National Politics

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

moonbeam

• 1526 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:21:15 PM PDT

not only has our illustrious liberal governor signed the .12 cent gas hike, but now the feds are looking at a hike, although I've heard it is only for diesel or something like that.  Just when we californians experience a gas price we can live with and proceed in life, they have to step on us again.  Unbelievable.  Liberals must die.

• 1526 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:26:44 PM PDT
    seems we already pay .46 cents gallon for fed tax/gallon, not to mention the .10 to .20 cent we pay state, they just want to gut the middle class. "charge 'til it hurts". Well, it already hurts....they must want us dead. I truly do hate liberals, and hate is a strong word, but they think because a person works he/she is fair game to kill financially. What can we do....absolutely nothing.
    • 2564 posts
    May 3, 2017 4:42:55 PM PDT
    Financial test. How many cents per mile are you paying in gasoline taxes?
    a. $200 per mile,
    b. $0.0001 per mile,
    c, somewhere between a and b,
    d. who cares?
    • 4977 posts
    May 4, 2017 10:30:25 AM PDT
    DickBoyd said:
    Financial test. How many cents per mile are you paying in gasoline taxes? a. $200 per mile, b. $0.0001 per mile, c, somewhere between a and b, d. who cares?

How many times are we supposed to tolerate a new, aditional tax on our limited incomes before we put our collective feet down and say enough? 

How many times are we supposed to tolerate a new tax or program that doesn't do what was promised? 

• Lottery funding schools?
    • Bullet train costs? 
    • TSA fees
    • Useage tax?
    • Spillway repair?
    • Healthcare premiums?
    • Obamacare?
    At some point, I hope soon, people (not left or right but all) need to stop allowing our leaders to get away with reckless abuse of our hard earned dollars. 

• SkB
    • 178 posts
    May 4, 2017 10:30:41 AM PDT
    have you noticed our roads and the condition they are in? Where is the money supposed to come from or should we just borrow it?
    • 631 posts
    May 4, 2017 11:22:28 AM PDT
    It is supposed to come from the state highway gas tax that we already pay that the progressive liberals moved to the general fund because there was too much money in that gas tax fund. Also, this new bill says it can only be use for road repair. That is also what the other gas tax we have paid for years said, but when you have a super majority you have a dictatorial government, so long prop 13, the residential tax protection will be the next tax increase.
    • 67 posts
    May 4, 2017 4:17:42 PM PDT
    dpietz,Here,Here!!
    • 6429 posts
    May 5, 2017 10:15:57 AM PDT
    Our first protection from corruption was removed when officials refused to audit the peoples money with an outside audit. Remember?
    • 2564 posts
    May 5, 2017 10:58:04 AM PDT
    Kleptocrat? Quackenbush? Stealing public money? Anti Deficiency? What is the role of Congress when it comes to government money?
    • 2564 posts
    May 5, 2017 11:10:11 AM PDT
    2Grands said:
    DickBoyd said:
    Financial test. How many cents per mile are you paying in gasoline taxes? a. $200 per mile, b. $0.0001 per mile, c, somewhere between a and b, d. who cares?

How many times are we supposed to tolerate a new, aditional tax on our limited incomes before we put our collective feet down and say enough? 

I don't know how many times we are expected to tolerate new taxes. But I suppose the kleptocrats know, right down to the penny.

People enacting taxes have a good idea of how much they can charge before there is reaction. They know how to boil bullfrogs.

Then there is Howard Jarvis and Jon Coupal, the Territorial Dispatch, Neilson, McClintock, Gallagher and so on.... All government is bad, don't let government have money for anything, ever.

How many times are we supposed to tolerate a new tax or program that doesn't do what was promised? 

• Lottery funding schools?
    • Bullet train costs? 
    • TSA fees
    • Useage tax?
    • Spillway repair?
    • Healthcare premiums?
    • Obamacare?
    If you look real close, nothing was promised. People thought something was promised. As long as people think someone else is paying, it really doesn't make any difference, does it? 
    At some point, I hope soon, people (not left or right but all) need to stop allowing our leaders to get away with reckless abuse of our hard earned dollars. 
    And when are we going to get air traffic control for all those flying pigs?

• 2564 posts
    May 5, 2017 11:30:10 AM PDT
    DickBoyd said:

My intent of asking about the cost of roads was to determine if road users ever think about who pays for the roads. Or where the money is spent.

First there is the money spent on right of way, paving, drainage, signals, maybe enforcement and (shudder) even education.

Then there are hidden costs. Things like traffice delay. How long should the trip take? How much variation in travel time is acceptable? Crashes. Death toll. Insurance. Missed flights, late for court.... a long list.

Diesel fuel is taxed at a higher rate than gasoline. Do trucks cause that much more damage to a road than cars? Or are truckers expected to be unpaied tax collection agents? Truckers pass the cost of taxes on to their customers, who in turn pass the cost on to their customers. How much road tax are you paying when you buy something that is transported to the store? Zero is not an acceptable answer. You may think it is zero. How much is added to the cost of transportation for things broken or spoiled by rough roads or congestion? As long as someone else pays, who cares? Or as long as the perception is that someone else pays, who cares? Nobody cares about apathy, no one knows about ignorance.

• 362 posts
    May 8, 2017 9:11:27 AM PDT
    We are so lucky to have this site even though we had or have a nut case and another that clutters the site asks too many questions to which they already know the answers
    dpietz is spot on when he stated "When you have a super majority you have a dictatorial government".
    That is exactly what we have in California and it only going to get worse.
    coolbreeze is directly on point when he stated "they think because a person works he/she is fair game to kill financially. What can we do....absolutely nothing".
    My next post at a later date will dwell on with facts and figures who is reaping the rewards and it is not us.
    • 20 posts
    May 9, 2017 10:56:54 AM PDT
    Just ask yourself where those gas tax funds go every time you drive down Frenchtown Road.
    • 1526 posts
    May 9, 2017 3:50:37 PM PDT
    Or ramirez....good god!
    • 362 posts
    May 10, 2017 7:13:44 PM PDT
    Cant sit back and do nothing. Have to try.
    • 362 posts
    May 10, 2017 7:14:23 PM PDT

http://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/More-CA-Lawmakers-COMPLAINT.pdf
    • 631 posts
    May 11, 2017 8:42:50 AM PDT
    State collected road taxes go for state roads, local roads are maintain by local tax dollars. The 5th District has the most roads, but gets the same amount of tax dollars for road repair as the other four districts. Many years ago it was learned the 5th. District, which is the largest area, paid more taxes than any of the other four districts. Even thought the 5th District paid more taxes and had more roads the other four would not budget more money for roads in the 5th District. I am sure it hasn't changed since we haven't had a strong supervisor in the forty plus years I have been here.

Also, the 5th District has had more growth than the other four districts since I have been here. The supervisors have extorted road impact fees from every development that has taken place in the 5th district. These fees were to be used in the areas where the development took place. If these fees were not use in a certain amount of time (5 years?) they were then transferred to the general fund.

An example of this is Township Rd. in Browns Valley. When we moved here in 1975 we were surrounded by open land, now we are completely surrounded by subdivided properties. All that has been done on Township Rd. is the usual road patching, one overlay on the paved section and the county made a sweetheart deal with a developer a few years ago. The developer was to furnish (pay for) the asphalt and the country would pave all of the rest of the dirt road. The county left the most dangerous part unpaved and would have sued if a private contractor had done the same substandard work the county did. It is my understanding that now all of the new developments in the 5th District are special districts with respect to their roads and this is after the country gets their road impact fees.
    • 362 posts
    May 11, 2017 10:22:31 AM PDT
    Your post dpietz is very informative. I appreciate the information.
    The last time that any significant road construction took place from this area to Marysville was in the sixties when Charles Coupe was Chairman of the board of supervisors.
    He owned a sawmill in Challenge and he wanted a better road for the lumber trucks.
    His Brother Bill owned a sawmill in Clipper Mills formerly Wooley Mill.
    You can still see remnants of the crooked old road by the Springsteen Ranch and just before you get to Hwy 20.
    • 4977 posts
    May 12, 2017 11:52:07 AM PDT
    I've been trying to be good......

Moonbeam's budget includes millions to fight Trump.
    Think about that: Our tax dollars are going to be used to fight against our other tax dollars.
    That's really unacceptable to me. I work too hard to give my money to two groups of elected representatives to fight each other.
    I understand states challenging the feds and vice versa; but spending millions of our dollars to fight against millions of our other dollars?

To me, this is a clear result of us- all of us - fighting with each other and not keeping all our leaders on task. It's up to us to reel them in and hold them accountable. Government can't do it.
    • 362 posts
    May 14, 2017 8:50:16 AM PDT
    The following is another area where “moonbeam” is spending your hard earned tax dollars
    There are approximately 3,019,000 adult illegal immigrants living in the state of California. On top of this there are 1.1 million children of illegal immigrants (975,000 of which would be considered anchor babies) this is an estimated 27% of America’s illegal aliens.
    . Illegal immigrants and their children cost California tax payers at least $30.29 billion a year in net costs.
    This means given that California’s state budget is about $171 billion illegal immigration cost 17.7% of this spending.
    In addition I couldn’t understand why the sudden increase in traffic in Marysville and Yuba City until I discovered 800.000 illegals had been given driver’s license.