Forums » Community Watch

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

Meeting 3/9/17 Protect our community

• 2564 posts
    March 9, 2017 1:21:21 PM PST

Assemblyman Gallagher sponsors legislation regarding the pleacement of convicted sexual offenders.

Banner

Yuba County Residents,

As you are aware, our community has been activity engaged in opposing the proposed placement of an out of town Sexually Violent Predator (Eldridge Lindsey Chaney Jr.) in rural Yuba County.  I firmly believe that offenders like Mr. Chaney pose a serious risk to our community, and rural counties should not be the dumping ground for offenders from other areas of the state.

Below is a quick update on the status of this placement and other related items:

PLACEMENT POSTPONED
    The Superior Court of Monterey County has issued a "hold" on the placement of Mr. Chaney who was scheduled to move into a residence on Ellis Road at the end of March. A new court hearing has been scheduled for Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 9:00am in Salinas. Members of the public are encouraged to ‘save the date’ and attend this hearing.

COMMUNITY MEETING
    Sheriff Durfor and District Attorney McGrath are hosting a community meeting TONIGHT (March 9 th) at 6:30pm to discuss the proposed placement, supervision process and conditions surrounding Mr. Chaney's pending release to Yuba County. The meeting will be held at the Yuba County Government Center located at 915 8th Street in Marysville. The public is encouraged to attend.

LEGISLATIVE SOLUTION
    In response to these out of town placements, I have introduced Assembly Bill 255 known as the ‘Protect our Communities Act’. My legislation would prioritize placement of Sexually Violent Predators in counties where they have residential, familial, or employment connections when they are conditionally released. A legislative hearing for this bill has been scheduled for Tuesday, March 14 th in Sacramento. If you are interested in attending in support of this legislation, please call my Capitol Office at (916) 319-2003.

As always, it is an honor to serve you.

Sincerely,

James

P.S. Please share the attached 'Protect our Communities Act' graphic on your social media pages to help get the message out!

• 1133 posts
    March 9, 2017 6:22:11 PM PST
    It's been my experience these type of out of county placements are reserved for the very high profile placements that the county or origin simply will not tolerate as opposed to the others who are more easy placements. Ought to be an interesting meeting.
    • 714 posts
    March 19, 2017 1:02:52 AM PDT
    At what point is a persons debt to society paid?
    If this person is still a threat to society, then why is he being let out?
    Perhaps the sentencing should change from a set time to a doctors clearance. The offender should be rehabilitated. If we only punish criminals without a set way of rehabilitation then we will continue to turn out animals instead of members of our society.
    • 1133 posts
    March 19, 2017 12:49:11 PM PDT
    Unfortunately the research on the rehabilitation of sex offenders shows that this type of risk is not justified to let them wander unregistered or monitored.