Forums » Community Watch

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

Oroville Spillway

• 195 posts
    March 4, 2017 10:05:12 AM PST

This is a good scope of the damage done to the spillway.

• 1526 posts
    March 5, 2017 12:15:34 PM PST
    Mother nature can be a futhermucker.
    • 67 posts
    March 5, 2017 11:59:44 PM PST
    I was wondering why more water wasn't released earlier in the season so all of this could have been avoided.
    • 1526 posts
    March 6, 2017 8:51:37 AM PST
    Well, it's probably a good thing this happened don't you think? For future heavy rainfall?
    • 9 posts
    March 6, 2017 9:23:56 AM PST
    I was at the dam the week before the incident, and the water was barely to the spillway gates if at all. Had they been releasing water at that point your post may have read "why are they releasing water from the dam when we are in a drought".
    The fact of the matter is that a good portion of the water that overflowed the emergency spillway laid on the ground as snow in the Feather River watershed. A warm storm with snow levels at 8000"+ nearly doubled the inflows to the reservoir resulting in a rapid rise of lake level. With the benefit of hindsight, it seems to me that the big mistake was not using the main spillway after the initial failure. It seems apparent that they were trying to mitigate damage to the main spillway and use the emergency spillway which we all know now was a bad idea. Had the main spillway been used prior topping of the E spillway, it would probably be damaged no worse than it is now.
    I think the post by coolbreeze sums up the real reason for such a tragic event.
    • 1526 posts
    March 6, 2017 2:48:05 PM PST
    Thanks, mom nature is the one wild, untamed animal we have left *and can't control.....yet). So much to respect, so much to dread. We all wake to the weather, for sure, plan our day and our recreational activities according to mom. Almost 70 years old, don't mean to sound like some expert, just fished and hunted (mostly fished), northern ca for 40+ years. Been caught in some crazy weather, from 500 ft to 7000 ft. You can't respect mom enough. Maybe better inspection on the spillway may have helped, we'll never know. Mom loves to keep us in suspense.
    • 362 posts
    March 7, 2017 10:03:02 AM PST
    People are now making millions per day from the neglect and mismanagement of bureaucrats. No problem it is only taxpayers money.
    Oroville%20Dam%20Gaping%20hole%20grows%20in%20the%20spillway%20of%20Oroville%20dam%20_%20Daily%20Mail%20Online.htm

• 362 posts
    April 19, 2017 8:34:02 AM PDT
    People should be behind bars for this horrifying event
    An Associated Press review has uncovered a series of questionable decisions and missteps before and during the crisis at the Oroville Dam.

The AP found the dam received an uncommon exemption from federal rules requiring it to release huge amounts of water. They also found that government overseers overestimated the durability of the two spillways. State water officials maintain the crisis was managed as effectively as possible.
    • 362 posts
    April 19, 2017 8:42:37 AM PDT
    It is ok it is only taxpayers money.
    Kiewit Corp., a construction giant with extensive experience in dam projects, was awarded the massive repair job at troubled Oroville Dam on Monday.
    The California Department of Water Resources announced that Kiewit, based in Omaha, Neb., beat two competitors for the job with a $275.4 million bid.
    • 1526 posts
    April 19, 2017 11:01:17 AM PDT
    Sounds like bad bureaucracy =spillway break=giant construction company jobs......but all at our expense.
    • 1526 posts
    April 19, 2017 11:02:01 AM PDT
    Hell of a way to create jobs.
    • 2564 posts
    April 19, 2017 3:13:48 PM PDT
    Time lines. Planning seldom exceeds one life time. Dams, such as Oroville, Folsom, Bullards should be treated as 500 year property. What are the extremes that will be experienced in 500 years? Those are the design constraints. How will the dam fail? Silt up? overtop? undercut?j slump? slide? How will the dam be operated? Spill in anticipation of extreme water? Use electrical generation in the spill plan? Exploit porosity and permeability of soils? Lessons from Dayton? Sahara forest?
    • 1526 posts
    April 21, 2017 4:11:41 AM PDT
    Our sen neilson pointed out, and I thought something was missing in the pic.....REBAR...there is none, and they are hiding the building and maintenance records. Unfrickingbelievable!!
    • 4977 posts
    April 21, 2017 8:31:06 AM PDT
    I thought/think there should be rebar too. I did read from someone (don't know if they claimed to be an expert or not) that rebar in a spillway will rust out. Not sure if that is true or not.
    I would like to see money spent where it should be spent, maintenance and repair, and us voters making sure our leaders are being responsible. Look at voter turnout in most elections: we, the people, aren't doing our part to hold our officials accountable. Until we demand accountability games will be played with our tax dollars - and in this case, people's lives.
    • 1526 posts
    April 21, 2017 8:41:13 AM PDT
    Not only rebar needed, as in most all cement projects (including, but not limited to: cement park benches, which last a lifetime), but our senator also found out there were trees and brush on the spillway, which is illegal. Never heard of rebar rusting. Would it have rusted out before the break....I think not. That someone you know , I don't know, may be a liberal, LOL.
    • 1526 posts
    April 21, 2017 8:45:08 AM PDT
    Read the senators report. It seems they will not give him all the maintenance records, also, maybe no maintenance, right? There is something very fishy going on here. And then brown's sneaky peek at the dam, very strange. I now wonder, as i'm sure many do, that living below that dam, well, I wouldn't, ever! Just sayin'.
    • 1526 posts
    April 21, 2017 8:47:41 AM PDT
    Reading more, of course rebar is used in spillways....your info, well.....................
    • 4977 posts
    April 21, 2017 9:33:06 AM PDT
    What little I know about concrete I would say it needed rebar. The source was just something I read, no political slant and no friend. It was just an opinion and we all have one.
    Keiwit should do a good job as the few people I know working for them have said good things about the company.
    Garamendi is on the Armed Service Committee and is part of our National Security; he should be able to review the "secret" documents.
    • 1526 posts
    April 21, 2017 9:45:29 AM PDT
    An opinion, yes, but an extremely important one, for sure. Anyway, there is some kind of hiding something that has made senator nielsen livid. It is that important. Something's amiss. That whole project (dam), needs a thorough review. That dam fails......lot of people going to die. Sounds like a lot of corners were cut, and we all know the end result of that!
    • 362 posts
    April 21, 2017 10:27:29 AM PDT
    I remember years ago I was in Federal District Court in Sacrament before a Judge on a civil matter and I pointed out to him trhat the case he relied on for his decision was not on point and he should rule in my favor. He stated "I made a Mea Culpa (mistake) so what" and ruled against me.
    We know by photos and direct knowledge that the Oroville dam debacle was corrupt and mismanaged costing taxpayers hundreds of millions.
    So What. Nothing will ever be done about it.
    Look at the state of this state.
    An ultra liberal Governor who keeps raising taxes plus the legislature is controlled by Hispanics.
    • 1526 posts
    April 22, 2017 8:01:02 AM PDT
    Neilsen has now sent a formal letter to brown for info on dam.
    • 2564 posts
    April 22, 2017 11:17:37 AM PDT
    What does "inundation" disclosure really mean?

Have Yuba and Sutter Counties provided public access "inundation" maps?

CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENT, Section 8589.4

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=8589.4.&lawCode=GOV

(a) A person who is acting as an agent for a transferor of real property that is located within an area of potential flooding shown on an inundation map designated pursuant to Section 8589.5, or the transferor if he or she is acting without an agent, shall disclose to any prospective transferee the fact that the property is located within an area of potential flooding.

(b) Disclosure is required pursuant to this section only when one of the following conditions is met:

(1) The transferor, or the transferor’s agent, has actual knowledge that the property is within an inundation area.

(2) The local jurisdiction has compiled a list, by parcel, of properties that are within the inundation area and a notice has been posted at the offices of the county recorder, county assessor, and county planning agency that identifies the location of the parcel list.

plus items (c) through (f).

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:42%20section:4001%20edition:prelim)

(e) Land use adjustments by State and local governments; development of proposed future construction; assistance of lending and credit institutions; relation of Federal assistance to all flood-related programs; continuing studies

It is the further purpose of this chapter to (1) encourage State and local governments to make appropriate land use adjustments to constrict the development of land which is exposed to flood damage and minimize damage caused by flood losses, (2) guide the development of proposed future construction, where practicable, away from locations which are threatened by flood hazards, (3) encourage lending and credit institutions, as a matter of national policy, to assist in furthering the objectives of the flood insurance program, (4) assure that any Federal assistance provided under the program will be related closely to all flood-related programs and activities of the Federal Government, and (5) authorize continuing studies of flood hazards in order to provide for a constant reappraisal of the flood insurance program and its effect on land use requirements.

http://www.realtydisclosure.com/hazards/dam.htm

http://www.bepreparedyuba.org/pages/prepare/leveemaps.aspx

• 2564 posts
    April 22, 2017 11:23:19 AM PDT
    DWR Announces Oroville Community Meetings

The California Department of Water Resources (DWR) is hosting seven public meetings in multiple locations to update communities in the region about the ongoing Oroville spillway recovery effort. The meetings will be opportunities for members of the public to hear from DWR leadership and experts about the status of the Oroville spillway and to ask questions and provide comments about the recovery process.
    MORE: https://yubanet.com/california/dwr-announces-oroville-community-meetings/
    • 2564 posts
    April 22, 2017 11:25:23 AM PDT
    MARYSVILLE
    May 3, 2017

Info Session begins at 5:30 P.M.

Presentation at 6:30 P.M.

followed by Q&A

CA Department of Transportation (Caltrans) District 3

Sierra Nevada Room

703 B St, Marysville

CA 95901

YUBA CITY
    May 9, 2017

Info Session begins at 5:30 P.M.

Presentation at 6:30 P.M.

followed by Q&A

Yuba-Sutter Fairgrounds

Franklin Hall

442 Franklin Ave, Yuba City

CA 95991
    • 4977 posts
    April 25, 2017 9:05:29 AM PDT
    Kudos to James Gallagher and others that have helped get the Oroville Dam records released for those of us funded the whole mess to review.
    • 39 posts
    April 26, 2017 7:59:55 PM PDT
    Rebar is used and or Slip Dowels will be used (or can be used together) when a checker board style of concrete is poured (such as in the spill way pictured). In between the checker board’s seams will be a rubber membrane, called water proofing (usually 4 inches into each adjacent checker board seam) or metal flashing. All joints are sand blasted out for cleaning then get a primer, and then receive a water proofing caulking. Typically, a sealant is then applied after completion of pouring a slab(s) (not all the time, but often). Maintenance is then the typical up keep; such as used in Sewage treatment plants, water treatment plants, and dams. The same caulking (depending on SPEC’s) is used on our freeways, over passes, etc.; anywhere a joint is vulnerable to water seepage.
    • 362 posts
    April 27, 2017 11:18:33 AM PDT
    Thank you for your expertise emerette2
    It is my understanding that the concrete on the spillway was only 12 inches thick and less in some places.
    Five workers were fired for taking pictures of the spillway. I sure would like for us to see those pictures.
    I think Oroville dam along with Sly Creek and Little Grass Valley dams were started in 1961. Oroville dam was finished in 1968.
    I believe during construction of Oroville the temporary spillway was washed out by high water
    Here is the latest comment from the head of the Dept of Water resources
    "Emergency spillway worked"
    Look at how many millions have been spent on repairing damage done by the so called emergency spillway
    The SOB should be in jail but will probably
    get a raise. That is the problem there is no recourse for such criminals in Government.
    My two daughters, Granddaughter and family and friends had to evacuate and like many others suffer the horrific event.
    There are many men out there who worked on the spillway and know exactly why it failed but will probably not come forward. Who Could blame them?
    • 362 posts
    May 13, 2017 10:30:24 PM PDT
    The damn fools.
    As many as 300,000 baby salmon died Wednesday inside the temporary holding ponds they’d been staying in since the Oroville Dam crisis in early February.
    The Department of Fish and Wildlife announced Thursday that the fall-run Chinook died when water flowing to the fish stopped. State officials blamed a faulty wire for switching off a pump at the Thermalito hatchery.