Forums » Local & National Politics

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

Non governing government

• 2563 posts
    December 3, 2015 10:19:34 PM PST
    2Grands, thanks for pointing out the source.
    I should have said "Should LOCAL government report these statistics?" What I'm trying to determine is who is expected to take action on the information. What should be the role of the government entity that has the greatest number of suicides? The greatest number of suicides per 100,000 population? The greatest number of suicides per at risk age group? Or should local government be allowed to respond that local government is not there to talk about Obamacare? Should local government ignore health risks?
    • 873 posts
    December 3, 2015 11:25:50 PM PST
    Though it is against God, if someone wants to take there own life, is it any of the governments business?

Is the government worried about the taxes lost?

Liberals want fewer people on the planet, doesn't suicide accomplish their goal?

Is it worth the tax payers money to stop someone from doing something that is impossible to stop, if the person wants to take his own life?
    • 2563 posts
    December 9, 2015 12:24:45 PM PST
    Legislative Analyst's Office. Understanding your property tax bill.

http://www.lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/151

It is noon, December 9, 2015. Do you know where your money is?
    • 873 posts
    December 9, 2015 11:21:35 PM PST
    DickBoyd said:
    Legislative Analyst's Office. Understanding your property tax bill. http://www.lao.ca.gov/LAOEconTax/Article/Detail/151 It is noon, December 9, 2015. Do you know where your money is?
    Are you referring to the the money that the government so graciously allowed me to keep or are you referring to the money that the government has forcibly extracted from me so they can waste it in some of the most ridiculous ways you can imagine?
    Sen Jeff Flake just released his new government waste book entitled: Wastebook the farce awakens. Here is a link listing unbelievable waste of 100's of billions of dollars of taxpayer money. You have to read it yourself to believe it, but a few examples are, Monkeys on a treadmill ($1 million), Wine classes for minors ($850,000), the most wasteful places in the USA ($1 billion), Robot lobby greeter ($2.5 million) and these are but a few.
    http://www.flake.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/03714fa3-e01d-46a1-9c19-299533056741/wastebook---the-farce-awakens.pdf
    • 2563 posts
    December 10, 2015 2:33:44 PM PST
    http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/health-gaps/California

"...nearly 44 percent of premature deaths in Yuba County could be avoided if Yuba residents had the opportunities of those in healthier counties..."

RICHARD BOYD
    dickboyd@aol.com
    • 873 posts
    December 10, 2015 8:55:03 PM PST
    DickBoyd said:
    http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/health-gaps/California "...nearly 44 percent of premature deaths in Yuba County could be avoided if Yuba residents had the opportunities of those in healthier counties..." RICHARD BOYD dickboyd@aol.com
    What are the opportunities that Yuba County residents don't get that cause the 44% more deaths? I looked over the link you have, but it wasn't clear as to the opportunities in one county or another.
    • 2563 posts
    December 11, 2015 10:45:47 AM PST
    Opportunities? Try this link.

http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/app/california/2015/rankings/yuba/county/factors/overall/snapshot
    or this for alcohol involved crashes
    http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/app/california/2015/measure/factors/134/map
    • 873 posts
    December 12, 2015 12:24:34 AM PST
    DB, thank you for the links, which show the percentages of Yuba County as compared to top performers and the state. However in your post #56 you stated "...nearly 44 percent of premature deaths in Yuba County could be avoided if Yuba residents had the opportunities of those in healthier counties...". I still don't understand what "opportunities" that we don't have, that are causing all the premature deaths? People can quit smoking, drinking, reckless driving, etc., here the same as anywhere?
    • 2563 posts
    December 16, 2015 3:14:07 PM PST
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/15/upshot/the-best-places-for-better-cheaper-health-care-arent-what-experts-thought.html?em_pos=small&emc=edit_up_20151216&nl=upshot&nlid=66809837&ref=headline
    • 2563 posts
    December 16, 2015 3:22:13 PM PST
    kibbefolks said:
    DB, thank you for the links, which show the percentages of Yuba County as compared to top performers and the state. However in your post #56 you stated "...nearly 44 percent of premature deaths in Yuba County could be avoided if Yuba residents had the opportunities of those in healthier counties...". I still don't understand what "opportunities" that we don't have, that are causing all the premature deaths? People can quit smoking, drinking, reckless driving, etc., here the same as anywhere?

Here the same as anywhere? Maybe. Maybe not. Healthier counties seem to have cracked the code on vehicle crashes, smoking rates and infant mortality. 
    "Opportunities"? Each county is responsible for the citizens in the county that pays their salary. Is hiring a consultant to prepare a report that qualifies that county to receive grant money an "opportunity"? The link in the previous comment reports on cost per resident. By my definition, finance is considered as part of "healing". Pay me now or pay me later? Can we really afford a health system that measures success by how much is spent and not by the results? 

• 2563 posts
    December 16, 2015 3:27:49 PM PST
    Wallet Wellness
    http://americancityandcounty.com/finance/top-10-best-cities-wallet-wellness?PK=UM_AMCTD12152015&utm_rid=CPEQW000001073826&utm_campaign=6326&utm_medium=email&elq2=3a788014fd6348319921eb804ccd8be5#slide-0-field_images-68591
    • 2563 posts
    December 16, 2015 3:37:47 PM PST
    Wallet Wellness worst cities:
    http://americancityandcounty.com/finance/top-10-worst-cities-wallet-wellness#slide-0-field_images-68491
    • 2563 posts
    December 16, 2015 3:47:41 PM PST
    Ahead of the biggest shopping events of the year, we at WalletHub believe it’s a key time to remind consumers to adopt responsible spending habits. In order to so, we compared the 150 largest U.S. cities in terms of 12 key metrics designed to gauge the responsibility with which consumers manage both their finances and their lifestyles as well as the extent to which local dynamics promote wealth creation and upward mobility.
    • 2563 posts
    December 18, 2015 2:05:52 PM PST
    2Grands said:
    What is it you want measured? Or you wanting a discussion about health in general? Or do you have a bone to pick with a government agency? What is your definition of health?

I think the health measurements are available. It is how they are presented that, in my opinion, are lacking.

Agreed heart and cancer are top causes of death. So what? People eventually die of something. The Coroner or someone assigns a cause of death.

I think the ranking should be preventable deaths. Which deaths can be reduced? How much does it cost to reduce those deaths? Which illnesses cost the most for treatment? How can those illnesses be reduced? How can the cost of those diseases be reduced?

Diabetes? Obesity? Yuba County answer? Ain't our job. We don't know whose job it is. It ain't our job to know whose job it is.

Job creation? Emegency response teams? Who is dying on the roads? Is it people who live here? Is it people who are visiting, or just driving through? Who sould pay for emergency response teams? Those to benefit? Who would benefit? County response. That's not our job, we don't know whose job it is. It ain't our job to know whose job it is.

• 4977 posts
    December 18, 2015 2:34:48 PM PST

Which deaths can be reduced? How much does it cost to reduce those deaths? Which illnesses cost the most for treatment? How can those illnesses be reduced? How can the cost of those diseases be reduced?

Vaccines help but people get ticked off about having to get kids or themselves vaccinated. Quit smoking and drinking. Stop eating so much junk. Every medical community knows what is the most expenisve to treat. Poorer people are genreally on government healthcare. The are generally unhealthier. Better educated people get better care and generally take better care of themselves. Now you move from helathcare to education. There is no one answer or magic bullet that you seek. 

Diabetes? Obesity?

Those answes should be available from the County Health Department?Social Services

Yuba County answer? See above. 

Job creation?

More people need to get involved instead of relying on a handful of people to bring jobs here. The DECISION might belong to the Superivors and Planning Departments but it is up to  us RESIDENTS to make our wishes known and get involved. If you won't help row the ship don't get upset where it is going.

Emegency response teams? They focus on response, not on prevention. They aren't funded for prevention. Law enforcement arrests drunk drivers, etc. The do some education but nothing like used to be done. Monies have been shifted elsewhere. Out of the COunty's hadns, stop blaming the county.  

Who is dying on the roads? That's easy to find out. All traffic deaths are documented.

Is it people who live here? Is it people who are visiting, or just driving through? For the most part, locals. Again, it is documented.

Who sould pay for emergency response teams? CHP is state, Ambulance is mostly private, County and city is taxpayer funded. What is you want? What do you want to change? 

Those to benefit? Who would benefit? 

What the heck are you trying to ask? If you would ask a direct question without trying to provoke thought and express your disdain, you might get the answers you seek. You might not like the answers you get. How much money would be or already is getting spent on the answers you seek? What is the benefit? Is it worth the cost and effort/  Should that energy and resources be spent attmepting to bring employers to our area? 

Dick - you have a way covering your questions with so much "fluff" that you turn people off and come acroos annoying. This is aprt of the reason you aren't getting your answers - you drive some people nuts. I've been at some of the meetings where you spoke.

• 2563 posts
    December 19, 2015 12:15:45 PM PST
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fun-facts-fatalities-big-data-roger-c-lanctot

"...The Dangerous Intersections Initiative leveraged State Farm’s own claims data to identify dangerous intersections and provided matching funds to municipalities interested in trying to reduce collisions at those locations. But State Farm’s altruistic gesture was not greeted warmly.
    http://tinyurl.com/opsjd2m - State Farm Dangerous Intersection Initiative

In the words of one anonymous State Farm-er: “We studied our claims data and then for the top 10 most dangerous intersections gave the ‘owning’ government entity $100K to use towards improving the safety of the intersection. It was received with mixed emotions – some people got very defensive because it made them look like they had either designed a flawed intersection or weren’t paying attention on their own to proactively improve it...."

Surprisingly, this week at the Republican Presidential debate on CNN, an important question resulted in an interesting response by Mr. Trump and the audience on the importance of focusing resources on huge clear and present dangers here in the U.S.A. today.

"Mr. Trump, are Americans safer with dictators running the world in the Middle East?

TRUMP: In my opinion, we’ve spent $4 trillion trying to topple various people that frankly, if they were there and if we could’ve spent that $4 trillion in the United States to fix our roads, our bridges, and all of the other problems; our airports and all of the other problems we’ve had, we would’ve been a lot better off. I can tell you that right now.

We have done a tremendous disservice, not only to Middle East, we’ve done a tremendous disservice to humanity. The people that have been killed, the people that have wiped away, and for what? It’s not like we had victory.

It’s a mess. The Middle East is totally destabilized. A total and complete mess. I wish we had the $4 trillion or $5 trillion. I wish it were spent right here in the United States, on our schools, hospitals, roads, airports, and everything else that are all falling apart.

(APPLAUSE)" See

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/16/us/politics/transcript-main-republican-presidential-debate.html

• 2563 posts
    January 10, 2016 11:00:42 AM PST
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/business/doctors-unionize-to-resist-the-medical-machine.html?emc=edit_th_20160110&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837

Doctors Unionize to Resist
    the Medical Machine

An Oregon medical center’s plan to increase efficiency by outsourcing
    doctors drove a group of its hospitalists to fight back by banding together.

By NOAM SCHEIBERJAN. 9, 2016
    • 2563 posts
    January 14, 2016 4:46:09 PM PST
    These are questions about the governing of used car dealers.

Do used car dealers have an obligation to sell only those cars that do not have an outstanding unrepaired recall notice?

If not, then do used car dealers have an obligation to fix the recall defects before they are sold?

Do used car dealers have an obligation to buy cars that have an outstanding recall defect?

Can used car dealers refuse to buy the car if it has an outstanding recall?

Do used car dealers assume the responsibility of fixing the defects noted in the recall?

Larger car rental companies agree to keep recalled cars off the road until they are fixed.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/27/business/la-fi-mo-rental-car-recall-20120927

Representative Roger Williams Texas added an amendment to the Highway Bill to excuse small car dealers, like him, from the provisions of the law requiring recalls to be fixed?.

http://www.latimes.com/topic/politics-government/government/roger-williams-PEPLT0009078-topic.html

RICHARD BOYD

9953 Gary Drive

Browns Valley, CA 95918

530 639 2360
    dickboyd@aol.com
    • 2563 posts
    January 17, 2016 4:23:12 PM PST
    Definition of health. Drug overdoses propel rise in deaths of young white males.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/17/science/drug-overdoses-propel-rise-in-mortality-rates-of-young-whites.html?emc=edit_th_20160117&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837&_r=0
    The rising death rates for those young white adults, ages 25 to 34, make them the first generation since the Vietnam War years of the mid-1960s to experience higher death rates in early adulthood than the generation that preceded it.
    • 2563 posts
    January 17, 2016 4:25:26 PM PST
    I'n still working on the Department of Finance population pyramids. They show similar results. Fewer people in that age group.
    • 2563 posts
    January 20, 2016 1:10:34 PM PST
    How the epidemic of drug overdose deaths ripples across America.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/07/us/drug-overdose-deaths-in-the-us.html?emc=edit_th_20160120&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837

Yuba is shown in the 4 to 8 per 100,000. Three counties in California are in the 4 to 8 range, The other 54 counties have higher death rates. Nationwide, rural rate is 15 compared to less than 12 in large metro areas. A reversal from 2002.
    • 2563 posts
    January 20, 2016 7:16:58 PM PST
    2Grands said:

Which deaths can be reduced? How much does it cost to reduce those deaths? Which illnesses cost the most for treatment? How can those illnesses be reduced? How can the cost of those diseases be reduced?

Vaccines help but people get ticked off about having to get kids or themselves vaccinated. Quit smoking and drinking. Stop eating so much junk. Every medical community knows what is the most expenisve to treat. Poorer people are genreally on government healthcare. The are generally unhealthier. Better educated people get better care and generally take better care of themselves. Now you move from helathcare to education. There is no one answer or magic bullet that you seek. 

I agree there is no single magic bullet. I believe there is an iterative process. Find the thing that produces the best results for the least cost. Mini-max or Maxi-min. If it works, that thing will improve and is no longer the top of the heap. Declare victory and move on. Take the next item on the list and beat it down to parade rest. Then the next one. Look at what other health communities are doing to solve problems similar to the local problems. For instance, traffic deaths. Lubbock, TX and identifying and correcting intersection design as opposed to installing red light cameras.

I don't believe every medical community knows what is the most expensive to treat, let alone which is the most cost effective to prevent. I believe this because of what I see. Some medical communities, instead of using their own talent, hire an outside consultant to write a report which qualifies for grant money, but is intended for a different population. Things in that report do not work in the environment where they are being force fit. An absurd example, to me,  is spending tobacco money on a building and not having money to staff the building. The biggest health preventive was the increased tax on tobacco. Which is opposed by "good government" enthusiasts. Also, increased tax on tobacco is not as visible as a new building and new parking lot.

A trend I see is the increase in death at younger ages from prescribed pain killers. But so far, only the CDC has sounded the alarm. The medical community is still wedded to the idea of killing pain and ignoring the people who are killed in the effort to kill pain.

• 2563 posts
    January 25, 2016 9:39:33 AM PST
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/25/opinion/michigans-great-stink.html?emc=edit_th_20160125&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837
    In the modern world, much government spending goes to social insurance programs — things like Social Security, Medicare and so on, that are supposed to protect citizens from the misfortunes of life. Such spending is the subject of fierce political debate, and understandably so. Liberals want to help the poor and unlucky, conservatives want to let people keep their hard-earned income, and there’s no right answer to this debate, because it’s a question of values.
    • 2563 posts
    January 25, 2016 9:43:42 AM PST
    But these really aren’t separate stories. What we see in Flint is an all too typically American situation of (literally) poisonous interaction between ideology and race, in which small-government extremists are empowered by the sense of too many voters that good government is simply a giveaway to Those People.
    • 1862 posts
    January 25, 2016 6:09:10 PM PST
    How can you be against the Affordable Health Care that has increased enormously the amount of people that now have access to some health care? The greedy insurance industry cannot deny anyone for, in its money-making opinion, "a per-existing condition."

To have true health care, we have to join the rest of the civilized world and kick the greedy and obnoxious insurance industry out of our health care once and for all. As long as they demand huge bribes to treat a sick/dying person, the U.S. will NEVER have health care.

For-profit health care is No Healthcare.

And don't forget, law enforcement is part of "big government."
    • 1862 posts
    January 25, 2016 6:11:57 PM PST
    Dick, are you going to return your Social Security check if and when it comes? (Conservatives and Republicans want to take it and make it a For-profit system to make their rich friends richer. We'll have the broken system we have with our "healthcare," a For-Profit nightmare.
    • 4977 posts
    January 25, 2016 7:37:03 PM PST
    QW - do you think having healthcare premiums skyrocket is a good thing?
    Do you paying for healthcare for illegal lawbreakers is a good thing?
    Do you think not being able to access your own doctor is a good thing?
    • 2563 posts
    January 25, 2016 9:14:47 PM PST
    quietwolf said:
    Dick, are you going to return your Social Security check if and when it comes? (Conservatives and Republicans want to take it and make it a For-profit system to make their rich friends richer. We'll have the broken system we have with our "healthcare," a For-Profit nightmare.

Return it? To who? Agreed, the market is skewed to favor those who already have money. And want to keep the money in the family. So what happens? Money does not get invested in roads or creating of new jobs. Where does the money go? To an off shore bank account? Undr the mattress?

• 4977 posts
    January 27, 2016 9:11:02 AM PST
    quietwolf said:
    How can you be against the Affordable Health Care that has increased enormously the amount of people that now have access to some health care? The greedy insurance industry cannot deny anyone for, in its money-making opinion, "a per-existing condition." To have true health care, we have to join the rest of the civilized world and kick the greedy and obnoxious insurance industry out of our health care once and for all. As long as they demand huge bribes to treat a sick/dying person, the U.S. will NEVER have health care. For-profit health care is No Healthcare. And don't forget, law enforcement is part of "big government."

I listened to a well respected lawyer and Obamacare benefits expert. The cost of Obamacare, according to the governments own agency, the General Accounting Office, pegs the cost of Obamacare at $150,000 PER PERSON. Most of the growth in coverage is due to large numbers of people put into the Medicaid program.

FURTHERMORE, the same folks reported that those WITHOUT INSURANCE have just as good if not better outcomes than those with Medicaid. Obama has destroyed our healthcare system, he has postponed enforcement due to the problems, the insurance companies have altered their requirements, businesses are LIMITING growth to remain under 50 employees, people ARE NOT signing up as projected. Their own projections for the program are off by at least 50%! 

It is a huge mess designed to get government control of healthcare - and US.  

I went to my tax appointment this week. For those under Covered California, the State has to provide a form showing proof of coverage. Taxes are due April 15th; the State of California has told tax preparers the forms will not be available for all until June 30th. If the person files a claim stating coverage for 2015 and they didn't have it, there is a fine for them and the tax preparer - yet the "documentation" isn't available at the tax deadline! 

Jerry Brown is giving illegal immigrant minors healthcare on our backs now too. They are illegals!! I didn't get free healthcare in Mexico or a couple of other foreign countries I visited. FREE means someone else is paying for it. I don't mean in any way we should turn our backs on those that need assistance. I do think illegals should not get care, and those able to work should have to do so.  

Quietwolf, your information is what the government wants to feed everyone; not the truth or real world. Do some serious investigating and don't blindly follow anyone

• 2563 posts
    January 28, 2016 1:00:44 PM PST
    2Grands said:
    DickBoyd said:
    http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa-homicide-vs-suicide Suicides are about two and a half times greater than homicides. 41,143 to 16,108. Should government report these statistics?

From the above referenced website:

"OUR DATA: We use the most recent data from these primary sources: WHO, World Bank, UNESCO, CIA and individual country databases for global health and causes of death.We use the CDC, NIH and individual state and county databases for verification and supplementation for USA data.

Ummm, Dick....the government is reporting the statistics. Its where your website got their information, according to their footnote. 

By reporting, I don't mean constructive notice. I mean actually having public discourse. Sort of like CBS and the "Wounded Warrior" story. Government does publish data about charitable foundations. Government did report the statistics. Ho hum, so what. Constructive notice? In agate type in the Territorial Dispatch or Appeal Democrat, but not the SacBee of SF Chronicle. Then a muckraking journalist with time on their hands might fill some column inches with their opinon of what the government information means. In terms the public can relate to. Like where are the people droppng dead in the streets due to polluted air or water? Flint??? Danora???

• 2563 posts
    January 28, 2016 1:06:06 PM PST
    Instead of asking if government should report the statistics, I should have asked if voters should read the statistics.
    • 1862 posts
    January 28, 2016 7:41:50 PM PST
    2Grands----Where did you hear this "well respected lawyer"? On Michael Savage (who wrote poetry in SF during the Viet Nam War, all peaceful and loving to his butt); on America's Racially & Politically Correct Drug Addict's show, Rush Limbaugh? Fraud News?

We can't keep funneling all our tax dollars into bombs and bank accounts of defense contractors. It is a bottomless pit that is never satisfied in its greedy hunger.

Invest in America's health like every civilized country on earth has been doing for years. Get the despicable insurance industry out of our health care system. Then the cost of health care will drop dramatically once we get these leeches off our backs.

• 1862 posts
    January 28, 2016 7:44:25 PM PST
    DickBoyd----Return your Social Security check to the return address on the envelope. if you are so against it and all the other government programs you use, refuse them. Put your money where your position is. Are you going to do that? Get all that Socialism out of your life.
    • 1862 posts
    January 28, 2016 7:46:16 PM PST
    And educated people get sick and have to mortgage their homes just to pay the bribes the insurance industry demands to see "your" doctor.
    • 2563 posts
    January 28, 2016 9:07:56 PM PST
    Preliminary Results of Undercover Testing of the
    Federal Marketplace and Selected State Marketplaces
    for Coverage Year 2015
    http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/673286.pdf
    Conservative Media Echo Misleading GOP Claim On Health Care Law And The Deficit

http://mediamatters.org/research/2013/02/26/conservative-media-echo-misleading-gop-claim-on/192809

Insurance Coverage Provisions of the Affordable Care Act—
    Congressional Budget Offices March 2015 Baseline
    https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/43900-2015-03-ACAtables.pdf
    • 2563 posts
    January 28, 2016 9:40:56 PM PST
    GAO High Risk List every two years
    http://www.gao.gov/highrisk/overview

http://www.gao.gov/highrisk/medicare_program/why_did_study
    • 2563 posts
    February 5, 2016 10:25:30 PM PST
    quietwolf said:
    DickBoyd----Return your Social Security check to the return address on the envelope. if you are so against it and all the other government programs you use, refuse them. Put your money where your position is. Are you going to do that? Get all that Socialism out of your life.

Quietwolf, what gives you the idea that I am against social security? I am more in favor of the approach used by Wisconsin in their Employee Trust Fund and the Congress with their Federal Employees Retirement System. In the meantime, for most people Social Security is the closest they come to retirement income. Otherwise where do they go? Family? Church? Local charity? Under the bridge or down by the river in a school bus?

• 2563 posts
    February 5, 2016 10:31:52 PM PST
    I'm beginning to feel like Cleanup. Talking to myself.
    http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/violence/by-country/
    Violent deaths. U.S. 5.86 per 100,000. Compared to Japan at 0.23 per 100,000. Or Canada, western European countries below 2.0 per 100,000. Look a little more closely in the United States. Some states, somecounties have low violent death numbers, other states. some counties have low violent death numbers. So what? No one cares about apathy, no one cares about ignorance.
    • 2563 posts
    February 5, 2016 10:46:56 PM PST
    Errata, In message 88, some are low, some are high.
    Link to a map of the U.S. that shows rates of violent death by county.for 2004 to 2010. The statistic shown on this study for the U.S. is 17.58 per 100,000. Compared to the world statistical display of 5.86 per 100,000. Yuba County is at about average. Which isn't saying much. On this map many counties are not reported. Indicated by crosshatch.
    https://wisqars.cdc.gov:8443/cdcMapFramework/mapModuleInterface.jsp
    • 2563 posts
    February 6, 2016 10:22:41 PM PST
    There is no money in health.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXCnlyML_5I
    Making a Killing
    • 2563 posts
    February 16, 2016 2:47:22 PM PST
    Laura's law. Nevada County Grand Jury report:'
    http://www.nevadacountycourts.com/documents/gjreports/1112-HEV-AB1421LaurasLaw.pdf
    Half a million dollars avoided cost.
    • 2563 posts
    March 1, 2016 9:47:59 AM PST
    The definition of health that i use has three parts, physical, mental (spiritual) and financial.
    Is it financially healthy to throw away two-thirds of the medicines?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/health/waste-in-cancer-drugs-costs-3-billion-a-year-a-study-says.html?emc=edit_th_20160301&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837
    • 2563 posts
    March 1, 2016 9:52:15 AM PST
    Congress has not given the drug agency the authority to consider cost in its decisions.
    • 2563 posts
    March 4, 2016 9:57:02 AM PST
    2Grands said:
    What health services do you want the county to provide that you aren't getting?
    Buprenorphine, methadone, Dolophine. Breaking opiod dependency. Not for me personally, but for opiod addicts.
    About a million doctors in the u.S. can prescribe opiods, vicodin, oxycontin, etc. Only about 32,000 doctors can prescribe methadone.
    What is my concern? When I was on active duty, I sat on various Court Martial Boards. Cases involving drugs, to me, were and still are troubling. People act differently under the influence. People react differently to people who are under the influence. As a civilian, I see death from opiods as an unanswered health issue.
    What do you think should be provided for free that isn't?
    I don't think anything should be provided FREE. But I also think that those to benefit should be the ones to pay. Sometimes it is difficult to understand who benefits.
    Who benefits from breaking a drug dependency? Yes, the addict benefits. Where will the addict get tne money to break their dependency? How about the addict's family? How about the people that the addict steals from to support their habit? Would they benefit from fewer thefts?
    • 4977 posts
    March 4, 2016 11:48:06 AM PST
    There is no way to force an addict into treatment. It is either voluntary or incarceration. Almost always there's a need for mental health services in companion to drug treatment.
    Most individuals can't pay, especially abusers. There's a big lack of mental health services. How you going to fund it? Drug makers pass on the cost. Any tax or fee is additional and objected to by the public.
    Yuba County is poor. We want good roads, police, fire.....there is only so much money to go around. Drug abuse and addiction might be huge for you but not for me. Don't do dope and you don't get hooked.
    There are LOCAL non profits working in this and need help. They don't need a bunch of nonsensical questions as they are volunteers trying to improve the community. They don't spend their time, energy, and money worrying about the definition of health.
    • 2563 posts
    March 26, 2016 11:42:53 AM PDT
    fentanyl
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/26/us/heroin-fentanyl.html?emc=edit_th_20160326&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837&_r=0

Yuba County seems to have some better statistics than neighboring counties in regard to death by fentanyl. Which, to me isn't saying much. Neighboring counties, rural counties in general, have a high incidence of death by opiods.
    • 362 posts
    March 26, 2016 1:23:26 PM PDT
    2Grands said:
    There is no way to force an addict into treatment. It is either voluntary or incarceration. Almost always there's a need for mental health services in companion to drug treatment. Most individuals can't pay, especially abusers. There's a big lack of mental health services. How you going to fund it? Drug makers pass on the cost. Any tax or fee is additional and objected to by the public. Yuba County is poor. We want good roads, police, fire.....there is only so much money to go around. Drug abuse and addiction might be huge for you but not for me. Don't do dope and you don't get hooked. There are LOCAL non profits working in this and need help. They don't need a bunch of nonsensical questions as they are volunteers trying to improve the community. They don't spend their time, energy, and money worrying about the definition of health.

Interesting assessment.
    http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/story/news/local/in-depth/2015/09/08/vivitrol-success-touted-ohio-drug-court/71904100/
    • 2563 posts
    April 11, 2016 8:56:38 AM PDT
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/04/11/upshot/for-the-poor-geography-is-life-and-death.html?em_pos=small&emc=edit_up_20160411&nl=upshot&nl_art=0&nlid=66809837&ref=headline&te=1&_r=0
    But the fact that some places have increased the life span of their poorest residents suggests that improving public health doesn’t require first fixing the broader, multidecade problem of income inequality. Small-scale, local policies to help the poor adopt and maintain healthier habits may succeed in extending their lives, regardless of what happens with trends in income inequality.
    “You don’t want to just think about why things are going badly for the poor in America. You want to think specifically about why they’re going poorly in Tulsa and Detroit,” he said, naming two cities with the lowest levels of life expectancy among low-income residents.
    It’s not even certain that the cause and effect flows from higher income to greater health; to some degree, it may go the other direction as well, because people who are healthy are better able to hold down a demanding job, and so have higher incomes.

The new paper, in fact, finds little correlation between a region’s Medicare spending rate or the proportion of the population with health insurance and how long its poor citizens live.

Public health experts who examined the results said the weak relationship did not mean that health insurance had no value. Research has long established that health care interventions have a much smaller effect on life span than behavioral factors like smoking and exercise. But health care does help people who are already sick lead healthier lives. And it can provide economic security and peace of mind that improve the lives of the poor in other ways.

Economic measures like the unemployment rate and income inequality also showed little relationship to low-income people’s life spans. There was a much stronger relationship between longevity and obesity and smoking rates, which is unsurprising. Places where poor citizens had long life spans also tended to have a high concentration of college graduates and high local government spending.

Life expectancy for the poor is lowest in a large swath that cuts through the middle of the country, and it appears in pockets in the rest of the country, in places like Nevada. David M. Cutler, a Harvard economist and an author of the paper, calls it the “drug overdose belt,” because the area matches in part a map of where the nation’s opioid epidemic is concentrated.

• 1862 posts
    April 11, 2016 5:34:53 PM PDT
    "Even though the U.S. is the only country without a publicly financed universal health system, it still spends more public dollars on health care than all but two of the other countries. Yuba Supervisors think Health Care is the Affordable Care Act, Obamacare and refuse to disclose their definition of health, their measure of health and the top three health issues in the county."

Proud of you, DickBoyd. Coming to the crux of the problem: A for profit health system is not the most efficient way to save people's lives or keep them healthy.

And 2Grands, you make an excellent point:

"The insurance companies don't seem to be losing profits in this mess. Their lobby is more powerful than us taxpayers that won't vote the jerks out."

I never agree with either of you, but I will do you a favor and agree with both of you this one time. (Just kidding)
    • 1133 posts
    April 11, 2016 5:37:26 PM PDT
    clipper said:
    The primary role of government should be to leave the people alone and let them live in peace free from the massive amount of bureaucrat regulations and the amount of taxes paid to unfair government employees to enforce those regulations.

So in essence no govt.  If you want govt. to leave people alone, then you don't want govt. because the exact job title of govt. is to represent the people and you can't represent them by leaving them alone.  Unless of course you are advocating a form on anarchy or total people rule (i.e. to each his own rule).