Forums » Local & National Politics

All Forums:  Advertisers | Book Club | Community Watch | General Discussion | Politics | Recipes | Support     New Topics & Replies

Non governing government

• 2563 posts
    August 10, 2015 10:11:20 AM PDT

Bernadetta Berti (in a TED Talk which is linked in the next post) makes the valid point that "terrorist" groups fill the gaps left by non-governing governments. Is Yuba County a non-government entity? Are there things the citizens of Yuba County expect of County government that county government is not providing?

• 2563 posts
    August 10, 2015 10:19:57 AM PDT
    Bernadetta Berti http://www.ted.com/talks/benedetta_berti_the_surprising_way_groups_like_isis_stay_in_power?utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_campaign=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=button__2015-08-10
    makes the valid point that "terrorist" groups fill the gaps left by non-governing governments.

Are Yuba County Supervisors a non-government entity? What are the things the citizens of Yuba County expect of County Supervisors that County Supervisors are not providing?

My list of things I expect a County Board of Supervisors to government begins with:

Public Health

Public Safety

If Health and Safety are not provided by government, everything else the Supervisors do is a waste of taxpayer money.
    • 2563 posts
    August 10, 2015 10:23:49 AM PDT
    I trust that you, intrepid readers of YubaFoothills, understand that the above posts are my opinion. Not a cast in concrete, everyone must believe statement. What is your belief regarding the role of County Supervisors in governing.
    • 4977 posts
    August 10, 2015 6:55:13 PM PDT
    What health services do you want the county to provide that you aren't getting? What do you think should be provided for free that isn't?
    When it comes to safety, how do handle mandated spending the federal and state government has forced on to the counties and the county taxpayer which has limited the ability to spend on more law enforcement?
    • 714 posts
    August 10, 2015 7:13:57 PM PDT
    I expect good roads. Honorable law enforcement and well equipped and trained firefighters.
    Safe schools that teach kids how to learn and not just memorize facts would be a plus as well.
    • 714 posts
    August 10, 2015 7:16:58 PM PDT
    Un-governed or under governed place do not cause terrorism. Terrorists make the places ungovernable.
    • 73 posts
    August 11, 2015 5:01:27 PM PDT
    I believe government should enforce the laws they enact. I have a problem with governmental agencies that enact new laws knowing that they don't have the resources to enforce the laws already on the books. IMHO, this leads to selective enforcement (selective with respect to which laws are enforced or against whom they are enforced). These choices are the enforcing agency's choice. If government doesn't have the resources to enforce all the laws it has enacted, then they should repeal them, especially if they are going to enact other laws that will need resources for enforcement.
    • 221 posts
    August 12, 2015 3:46:54 PM PDT
    minirancher said:
    I believe government should enforce the laws they enact. I have a problem with governmental agencies that enact new laws knowing that they don't have the resources to enforce the laws already on the books. IMHO, this leads to selective enforcement (selective with respect to which laws are enforced or against whom they are enforced). These choices are the enforcing agency's choice. If government doesn't have the resources to enforce all the laws it has enacted, then they should repeal them, especially if they are going to enact other laws that will need resources for enforcement.

Hmm, how can law enforcement officials pick and choose which laws they can enforce or not?  seems to me if something is against the law, if a person is caught then they go to jail and are then entitled to a speedy trial to determine if they are guilty or innocent.  I guess i a bit confused as I have never heard of laws that are not enforceable due to budget constraints.  If it is against the law, the offender should be arrested, no?

• 2563 posts
    August 12, 2015 8:41:02 PM PDT
    2Grands said:
    What health services do you want the county to provide that you aren't getting? What do you think should be provided for free that isn't? When it comes to safety, how do handle mandated spending the federal and state government has forced on to the counties and the county taxpayer which has limited the ability to spend on more law enforcement?

What do I (dickboyd) think should be provided for free that isn't? I can't think of anything that should be provided free. Air and water may seem to be free. But If someone abuses "free" by poluting, then those who are harmed should have compensation from the guilty. The payment for "free" air and water? Investment in water storage and delivery. Rules that are enforced to prevent air and water polution.

What do I (dickboyd) want the County to provide that I'm not getting? The few things I see the County providing to me (dickboyd) are hit or miss, inconsistent. Yuba County does not have a public definition of health, or how Yuba County measures health, or what the top three health issues are in Yuba County. What I (dickboyd) do see is the County following the dictates of the State and Feds as long as the State and Feds pay. For starters, I (dickboyd) would like to see a Yuba County definition of health, how Yuba County measures health and the top three health issues in Yuba County, source of the money paying the "health" bills. The major health thing that I (dickboyd) see missing in Yuba County is traffic safety. Traffic deaths are a leading contrubutor to years of potential life lost.

Mandated spending? Who made the decision to mandate? What was Yuba County's role in deciding the mandate? Whose money is being spent? Money from Yuba County residents? Show me the money trail. Something "forced" on the County, to me (dickboyd) illustrates non-governing government. The County should be doing and paying for the things that benefit the Yuba County citizens. Yuba County should not rely on the state to enact laws that expect people in other counties to pay for the things that Yuba County residents are not willing to pay for themselves. If the people from other Counties are paying the taxes that are diverted to Yuba County, then those paying the taxes should have a say-so in how the money is spent and expect reports on how effectively the money was used.

• 2563 posts
    August 19, 2015 11:59:22 AM PDT
    http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2015pres/08/20150811a.html
    Should the Federal government be funding health centers? Where is the nearest federally funded health center?
    • 4977 posts
    August 19, 2015 1:17:21 PM PDT
    AMPLA Healthcare, Peachtree Healthcare, and recently HArmony Health are all Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) locations.

If counties and the federal government didn't "share" between jurisdictions then some areas would have very poor roads, very poor schools, and so on. The state and federal governments have mandated things that the local governments must fund. this comes back to electing people who properly represent us. The federal government as well as the state has dictated how monies are spent or they withhold other funding.

The only way to define health is to measure it against others throughout the nation. You then have to slice it by economic group, geography, and so on. We know Y-S has a high diabetes rate. There has been efforts to educate and lower the unhealthy practices. If you are poor and possibly homeless, a value meal is much more affordable than eating healthy. It's no one fault, it's just the way it is. We all know what alcohol and cigarettes do but people still abuse them just like abusing food. Politicians decided schools don't need P.E. This subject has so many fingers we could go on and on for weeks.
    • 2563 posts
    September 1, 2015 10:32:26 PM PDT

One third of the one hundred senators of the United States Senate are elected every two years in rotation. The 2016 election is for thirty-four Senate seats.

Incumbents and incumbents' party candidates normally win. Political inertia.

For 2016, the split is ten Democrat seats and twenty-four Republican seats. A ratio of 2.4:1

Crash Victims' Vote, Aug 2015 Vol 3 No.8 (8-ISSN 2332-063X 13 pages) reports crash fatality statistics for the states.

www.careforcrashvictims.com/Crash DeathMappingTool.php. You may have to truncate that link to: www.careforcrashvictims.com/ and then navigate the site to ding the reports of interest.

Or you can navigate to the attachment to: https://mail.aol.com/webmail-std/en-us/suite Let me know if this fails to link to Crash Victims' Vote.

On average, about one-hundred people die each day in vehicle crashes. On average about two per day per state. Average, to me, is an indicator. I don't think any state is average when it comes to crash fatalities. Each state is either really good or really bad. Bimodal distribution for statisticians.

If the deaths were equally expected in every state, one would expect roughly one-third of the deaths to be in the thirty-four states holding Senate elections. Crash Victims'' Vote quotes 2013 fatality statistics. Sixty-four of the one hundred deaths are in those thirty-four states. Twice the average value. Crash Victims' Vote also points out the percentage of crash deaths in which victims were not transported to any medical facility for medical care. Nationwide, 56% of crash victims do not receive medical care. There was no breakout statistics on whether timely medical care would have saved the life. Information about the need for timely medical care is in other reports. I don't know of any reports that quote timely medical response as a contributor to deaths.

Robert Wood Johnson Foundation County Health rankings is the source for individual counties. http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/

Measure of America http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/ is another source.

I agree that something should be done to reduce the number of deaths. I believe the action parties should be identified. I believe that county officials should be the first to answer for fatalities in their own county. Yes, United States Senators should play a role. But Senators respond to the people who vote for them. The common thing that I see is that counties with high crash fatalities are rural. Timely medical response plays a role. Rural counties have poorer response times than cities. The states voting for Senators in 2016 are mostly rural.

Is crash response time a task for a United States Senator? If not a Senator, then who? Governor? Mayor? State Assemblyman? State Senate? County Supervisor? County Sheriff? County Risk Manager? Ambulance Companies? Public Health Officers? Fire Departments? No one?
    • 2563 posts
    September 3, 2015 11:50:22 AM PDT
    Berti http://www.ted.com/talks/benedetta_berti_the_surprising_way_groups_like_isis_stay_in_power?utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_campaign=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=button__2015-08-10 makes the valid point that "terrorist" groups fill the gaps left by non-governing governments.

Are Yuba County Supervisors a non-governing entity?

What are the things the citizens of Yuba County expect of County Supervisors that County Supervisors are not providing?

My list of things I expect a County Board of Supervisors to govern begins with:

Public Health

Public Safety

If Health and Safety policy are not provided by government, anything else governments do is a waste of taxpayer money. Yes, health and safety begins with individuals. But if everybody has a their own definition and the definitions do not agree, the result is anarchy. When everyone is in charge, no one is in charge.

Why do I think Yuba County does not have a government that knows how to provide health?

Because Yuba County Supervisors do not have a definition of health. Yuba County does not have a measure of health. Yuba County does not identify its top three health issues. Yuba County does not have a plan to address the top health issues. If the County does have a definition and a plan, they are not sharing it publicly.

When asked about health, the official response is "We are not here to talk about Obama Care." The question is not about the Affordable Care Act. The question is not about insurance. The question is what is Yuba County's definition of health.

• 4977 posts
    September 3, 2015 2:18:44 PM PDT
    We're kind of going in circles here Dick. You want a specific answer to a too-general question.
    Each department has a "health definition". Child health, mental health, senior health, prenatal health, STD health, indigent health, cancer rates, heart attack rates, etc, etc, etc.
    One answer is not going to happen. There are too many variables.

The supervisors are charged with oversight. It isn't their job to know all about the various definitions. It is their job to manage needs the department chairs bring to them. The supervisors don't know how to pave roads or build levees but the manage that too.

IF you ask specific questions, you'll get specific answers. If you ask general nuisance questions you come off sounding like someone looking to cause trouble instead of someone looking to make a positive impact or difference. I'm afraid your questions seem to have no specific point.
    It all reminds me of the guy that says everyone that has carrots ended up dying; therefore carrots should be avoided.

• 2563 posts
    September 3, 2015 3:34:23 PM PDT
    2Grands said:
    We're kind of going in circles here Dick. You want a specific answer to a too-general question. Each department has a "health definition". Child health, mental health, senior health, prenatal health, STD health, indigent health, cancer rates, heart attack rates, etc, etc, etc. One answer is not going to happen. There are too many variables. The supervisors are charged with oversight. It isn't their job to know all about the various definitions. It is their job to manage needs the department chairs bring to them.
    Agreed. All good points. To me, there is only a limited amount of money available to do the things that each of the Department Heads would like to see done. The County Administrator then decides form the Department Head proposals and brings a decision to the Board. Usually as a consent item. Meaning, to me, there is no public discussioin or explanation of how the decision was made. By default, the program that gets funded is by definition the top issue. How and who decided which effort would get funded? Who measures the effectiveness of how that money was spent?
    Some funds are mandated. Like the tobacco tax that funds First Five. Fenced money for child health. One measure of health, to me, is infant mortality. Yuba's rate is 5.0 per 1,000 live births.  Overall California rate is 4.7. The way the statistics are presented, I cannot determine the variation or the county with the highest rate and the county with the lowest rate. See next post for links to statistical reports. Nearby counties, Sutter 4.7, Butte 6.2. Nevada 3.7. Large counties San Bernardino 6.7, LA 4.4. The point is that each county seems to be satisfied with whatever infant mortality they have. Yuba County has one Supervisor and two City Leaders on the First Five Commission. A Commission that, as I understand, determines how Prop 10 tobacco taxes are spent. What is it that the Supervisors are overseeing? Recomendations from the CAO? Input from citizens?
    The supervisors don't know how to pave roads or build levees but the manage that too. IF you ask specific questions, you'll get specific answers. If you ask general nuisance questions you come off sounding like someone looking to cause trouble instead of someone looking to make a positive impact or difference. I'm afraid your questions seem to have no specific point. It all reminds me of the guy that says everyone that has carrots ended up dying; therefore carrots should be avoided.
    • 2563 posts
    September 3, 2015 3:43:21 PM PDT
    Link to Public Health statistics.

http://www.apps.cdph.ca.gov/vsq/screen1a.asp?Year_Data=2013&Stats=4

• 2563 posts
    September 9, 2015 1:23:10 PM PDT
    This story highlights, to me anyway, a runaway legal system. A system focused on fixing the blame while ignoring the problem.

To me, traffic deaths are a major health problem. To others, traffic deaths are not health problems because doctors are not involved until after the crash. There are two health problems. Years of potential life lost and medical support for survivors.

http://www.corporatecrimereporter.com/news/200/vehicular-homicide-and-manslaughter-convictions-being-reversed-as-drivers-blame-corporations-for-auto-defects/

How do you have someone plead guilty to a crime? Threats? Rubber hose beating? Beyond a reasonable doubt evidence?

What lessons are learned from the conviction? What was learned to prevent similar deaths?

People in law enforcement are not immune to this "fix the blame" mentality. A law enforcement officer died in a single vehicle crash. His date for the night, who was driving was convicted of a crime and sentenced to prison. She was also in the law enforcement community. The system is blind to everything except fixing the blame. To my knowledge, there were no other suspects in the "crime". Nor did investigators even look for any other cause of the "crime". To me, the legal system had decided who to blame and how to punish them.

If nothing else, did the person convicted of the crime have a lessons learned story that could be used to prevent future crashes? Or is she so cold-hearted and unrepentant that she deserves to rot in prison?

Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, is there a muck raking reporter willing to investigate? Is there a reputable pundit willing to write a story? Harold, is fixing the blame, ignoring the cause up your alley?
    • 2563 posts
    September 9, 2015 1:31:04 PM PDT
    The County Health Status Profiles contain information about infant mortality as well as sort order ranking of California's 58 counties in various health categories. Refer to Tables 24A-24E. The Technical Notes section will provide background information.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/ohir/Documents/OHIRProfiles2015.pdf

You might also find this information useful.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/ohir/pages/CHSP.aspx
    • 2563 posts
    September 23, 2015 3:32:59 PM PDT

http://calbudgetcenter.org/blog/new-census-figures-provide-more-evidence-that-health-care-reform-is-working-in-california/

Census Bureau statistics on health care coverage in California.

Are Californians any healthier with this health care program? Are they less healthy? Are they at the same level of health?

How do you know unless you haave a way to measure?

• 4977 posts
    September 23, 2015 7:17:41 PM PDT
    What is it you want measured? Or you wanting a discussion about health in general? Or do you have a bone to pick with a government agency? What is your definition of health?
    • 873 posts
    September 23, 2015 10:17:31 PM PDT
    In general the populous is better off if the government keeps their nose out of our issues. Obummercare is a good example of that theory, since it's inception the cost of medical care, insurance, deductibles, etc. has gone sky high. The government and all their requirements, regulations, reporting, etc. is a lot of the reason medical care was so expensive in the first place.

The one thing for our health that the government should be doing but won't, is keeping shelters and supplies available in case of an emergency. If we were to get hit by a nuke, EMP or severe natural disaster etc., there is no place for the citizens to turn. Up until the 60's the government used to keep shelters and food for the population to survive. However, they only have those kinds of facilities today for the government big shots and their families. They have all kinds of hardened bunkers, stocked with food and water fot the elites to survive, but they figure the rest of us can go begging!!
    • 2563 posts
    September 28, 2015 2:31:26 PM PDT
    Health threat: Alzheimers or cancer?

http://www.ted.com/talks/samuel_cohen_alzheimer_s_is_not_normal_aging_and_we_can_cure_it?utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_campaign=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=button__2015-09-28
    • 2563 posts
    September 28, 2015 3:06:54 PM PDT
    2Grands said:
    What is it you want measured? Or you wanting a discussion about health in general? Or do you have a bone to pick with a government agency? What is your definition of health?

My definition of health? Glad you asked.

First, what can you find with an Internet seach for health?

My defintion of health is based on the word HEAL. Which means to make whole.

All of us know more than any of us. Each of us will have a different defintion. But the common items that make up health I think we can agree on are: physical, mental and social.

Medical people will concentrate on physical health, the absence of disease. Ministers, parents, teachers concentrate on mental health. Bankers, investors, elected officials concentrate on social health. Financial, education, clean water, safe roads.

Using these three components, physical, mental, social.

Some things to measure as an indicator of physical health would be life expectancy, lost days due to illness.

Mental health is an individual measure of how well an individual meets his or her potential. How much they contribute to society. A measure could be level of education. Those on a continuing education path seem to be mentally healthy.

Social health, in turn, is made of things like income, orderly markets, rule of law. A measure could be income levels. The important thing is that since everyone has an area of emphasis, there needs to be a meeting of the minds on definition and an agreement on how to measure and evaluate. Common sources of measurement are (1) California Department of Public Health. (2) Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's "County Health Rankings", (3) Measure of America, supported by various foundations.

I would like to see a discussion about health in general.

The Yuba County discussions that I am aware of concentrate on getting "free money" for some project. Presenting a point of view of only one group.

I don't have a bone to pick with any specific agency. My bone to pick is with those who we, the voters, have selected to lead us. What I see are individuals who are saying whatever it takes to get elected. Once elected, ignore the people that elected them.

• 2563 posts
    September 28, 2015 3:15:47 PM PDT
    .http://www.ted.com/talks/samuel_cohen_alzheimer_s_is_not_normal_aging_and_we_can_cure_it?utm_source=newsletter_daily&utm_campaign=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=button__2015-09-28

Alzheimers or cancer. Which is the larger physical health threat? What has been most effective in cancer treatment? What is the most effective treatment for heart disease? What is the most effective treatment for lung disease? My nomination is increased taxes on tobacco products. What have the various counties done with the Master Settlement Agreement money. The payments negotiated by Attorneys General from several states. Some counties monetized the cash flow. Lump sum payment to get as much "free" money as quickly as they could. Or some who used First Five money to build buildings while ignoring the education of the people expected to work in those new buildings.
    • 4977 posts
    September 28, 2015 3:58:40 PM PDT
    Food can be just as deadly as tobacco. Alcohol can be more deadly than both.
    Why do I have the freedom to drink and the distillers are not responsible for alcoholism? Then we claim the tobacco companies are responsible for the effects of smoking? Why is one industry singled out? What about my choice to drink, smoke, over eat, eat only sweets.....and my responsibility for my actions? IS GM responsible if I run lights, drive too fast, pull out in front of you?
    • 2563 posts
    September 28, 2015 4:04:06 PM PDT
    2Grands. Who to sue? Deep pockets. Which nail gets hammered down? The one that stands out. Food? Farm lobby gets rewarded for growing corn. Corn is converted to sweetener. Farm lobby gets rewarded for milk production. Which is used to make cheese. Which is distributed in the school lunch programs. Go figure.
    • 2563 posts
    October 6, 2015 11:56:42 AM PDT
    Consider this link for statistics on cause of death in the United States. Follow the age groups to highlight the "low hanging fruit" to target for correction. The age groups to target for corrective actions to reduce traffic deaths. Traffic deaths with the greatest years of potential life lost. The link is interactive. Click on the heading of a row or column. For Second Ammendment rights advocates, you might be interested in the suicide statistics.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa-cause-of-death-by-age-and-gender

King Herod is out there killing off the young people before they have a chance to die of heart disease.

So what? One of the "so whats" is that those young people are expected to live long enough to get a job and support us old people in the life style we would like to be accustomed to. We ;don't expect the young people to crash and become a financial drain.

Maybe the Lizard and Flo and the "shirker" insurance companies would consider coughing up a few bucks to educate on safety. Educate with a target of lower risk. Not free loading on the advances by IIHS and "worker" insurance companies. Not pandering to a false economy of lower price with static levels of prevention.

Some methods to consider. DMVs showing film loops of unrestrained rear seat passengers hurtling into the front seat. Film loops of roundabouts and how to drive them. Film clips of how to avoid the top three traffic hazards in the geographic area served by that DMV. The top three nominees for where I live are road shoulder treatment. Second would be emergency medical response. Third would be emergency trauma centers.
    DMV might show a film loop of how to recover from driving off the road. Both with Electronic Stability Control and without ESC.

Maybe public health officials would consider traffic deaths as a health issue. An issue that must be addressed by all members of the community.
    • 2563 posts
    October 6, 2015 2:37:16 PM PDT
    Healthy, Wealthy and Wise? Two out of three ain't too shabby.
    http://www.fairwarning.org/2015/10/tobacco/
    What lights your fire? Trans Pacific Trade? Curtailing free trade? Rights of corporations?
    • 2563 posts
    October 13, 2015 3:32:29 PM PDT
    http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2015/oct/us-health-care-from-a-global-perspective?omnicid=CFC901992&mid=dickboyd@aol.com
    This ties in to my comment about non-governing government.
    Health care spending in the U.S. far exceeds that of other high-income countries, though spending growth has slowed in the U.S. and in most other countries in recent years.3 Even though the U.S. is the only country without a publicly financed universal health system, it still spends more public dollars on health care than all but two of the other countries.
    Yuba Supervisors think Health Care is the Affordable Care Act, Obamacare and refuse to disclose their definition of health, their measure of health and the top three health issues in the county.
    • 4977 posts
    October 13, 2015 4:40:59 PM PDT
    Dick - did your candidate lose int eh last election? You're definitely bitter about something.
    Yuba County will give you any definition you want. Your question is not specific. Definition of Health? What does that mean?
    I can tell you for a fact they work on things to try to improve healthcare outcomes in Yuba County.

I heard on the news that Obamacare premiums are going up as much as 49% in some locations.
    The promise of keeping your doctor, costs of no more than $2500, and more were nothing but lies to gain control of the large amount of money going through healthcare. Medical Coding also changed on October 1st so the government can have infinitely more data on our health. You doctor now spends as much time entering data the government wants (and some insurance and government healthcare forces them to ask questions like "Do you own guns?") as they actually giving you an exam. I'd like to see more doctors working for cash and doing house calls instead of using insurance - but then our liberal leadership fines us for not buying health insurance (that we can't afford and has crappy coverage).

I'm all for holding Yuba County accountable. You want some definition of health. Why is it so hard for you to be more specific? I think this is why the supervisors meeting went south for you and caused your bitterness.
    • 4977 posts
    October 13, 2015 4:42:13 PM PDT
    The insurance companies don't seem to be losing profits in this mess. Their lobby is more powerful than us taxpayers that won't vote the jerks out.
    • 2563 posts
    October 13, 2015 8:56:37 PM PDT
    2Grands said:
    Dick - did your candidate lose int eh last election? You're definitely bitter about something. Yuba County will give you any definition you want. Your question is not specific. Definition of Health? What does that mean? I can tell you for a fact they work on things to try to improve healthcare outcomes in Yuba County. I heard on the news that Obamacare premiums are going up as much as 49% in some locations.
    Do I come across as being bitter? Beauty is in the eye of the beeholder.
    My intentiion is to get some traction on things that make a difference in the cost of health. But what people are hearing and echoing back is Obamacare.
    I would just as soon not talk about the insurance aspects. Why? Because everyone has a different view of what insurance is. Everyone has a different view of a fair price for insurance. To me insurance is about controlling variability. A fair price is deteremined by Insurance Commissioners of John Garamendi's integrity, not Charles Quacnenbush. There are several measures of health, Measure of America and County Health Rankings are two. There are several methods for a county to identify their health issues. Measure of America and County Health Rankings again. Or even California Department of Public Health.
    I am comparing Sutter County to Yuba County. Yuba County is ignoring me. Sutter County is ahead of me. What are the leading causes of death in the age group of new born to five years? In the age group of 18 to 25? In the age group of 20 to 35? What is the county doing to address the causes of death in those age groups? I don't want any old definition. I want a definition that everyone in the county can understand and agree to. The county does not seem to me to want to agree on a defintion, a measure nor a ranking. Yuba County striikes me as measuring success by how much money they spend, not by lives saved, or lost work days regained.
    • 4977 posts
    October 13, 2015 9:07:25 PM PDT
    I am comparing Sutter County to Yuba County. Yuba County is ignoring me. Sutter County is ahead of me. What are the leading causes of death in the age group of new born to five years? In the age group of 18 to 25? In the age group of 20 to 35? What is the county doing to address the causes of death in those age groups? I don't want any old definition. I want a definition that everyone in the county can understand and agree to. The county does not seem to me to want to agree on a defintion, a measure nor a ranking. Yuba County striikes me as measuring success by how much money they spend, not by lives saved, or lost work days regained.

Are you saying Yuba County can't give the answers to the above questions?
    Those questions aren't the top three things or the definition of health; they are specific questions for which there should be data available. Instead of the BOS, who's job is oversight, I would start with the Director of Social Services. Ask those few questions, ask where to find the data if that person doesn't have access to it, and you'll be on your way. Once you have that data, you can ask questions about addressing each concern. You'll get a lot farther by meeting someone over lunch or a cup of your favorite beverage than challenging a meeting with a question like "what is Yuba's definition of health". Have Sutter's data so the person you meet can compare/present apples to apples. I think you'll get somewhere.
    • 4977 posts
    October 13, 2015 9:08:52 PM PDT
    Public Health Officer might have data on deaths too as well as the Coroner's office. Good luck!
    • 2563 posts
    October 14, 2015 8:35:12 AM PDT
    2Grands said:
    SNIP Are you saying Yuba County can't give the answers to the above questions? Those questions aren't the top three things or the definition of health; they are specific questions for which there should be data available. Instead of the BOS, who's job is oversight, I would start with the Director of Social Services. Ask those few questions, ask where to find the data if that person doesn't have access to it, and you'll be on your way. Once you have that data, you can ask questions about addressing each concern. You'll get a lot farther by meeting someone over lunch or a cup of your favorite beverage than challenging a meeting with a question like "what is Yuba's definition of health". Have Sutter's data so the person you meet can compare/present apples to apples. I think you'll get somewhere.
    I'm not saying Yuba County can or cannot give answers to the above questions. I'm saying, in my experience, they WON'T. I have tried to get meetings, I have tried to exchange e-mail. No luck in Yuba. I have tried all 58 counties for the record. Marin, in my opinioin, gives the best response and has the best health programs. Not so much as that Marin seems to have a lot of money. More along the lines of Marin makes an effort to identify and correct health issues.
    • 2563 posts
    October 28, 2015 4:24:45 PM PDT
    World Health Organization, as reported by the media:
    "The agency found “sufficient evidence” (not just a weak association) that processed meat can cause cancer, but the risk from smoking is many orders of magnitude greater, according to Dr. John Ioannidis, the chairman of disease prevention at Stanford University. “I think it’s very important that we don’t terrorize people into thinking that they should not eat any red meat at all.”

Tobacco smoking causes about a million cancer deaths a year worldwide; alcohol adds another 600,000 annual cancer deaths. Diets high in processed meat cause about 34,000 cancer deaths globally, the agency calculated."
    How much should be dedicated to each of the identified sources of cancer? In proportion to deaths? In proportion to news coverage?
    • 2563 posts
    November 8, 2015 3:08:05 PM PST
    How much are you willing to pay for each additional year of quality life for someone else? How much do you expect your neighbors to contribute for each year of quality life for you?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/opinion/sunday/i-am-paying-for-your-expensive-medicine.html?emc=edit_th_20151108&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837
    • 2563 posts
    November 8, 2015 5:23:23 PM PST
    How should emergency room s be funded?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/06/opinion/how-to-solve-the-er-problem.html?action=click&contentCollection=opinion&module=NextInCollection®ion=Footer&pgtype=article&rref=column
    • 2563 posts
    November 15, 2015 1:03:26 PM PST
    http://www.scotusblog.com/2015/05/major-test-on-voter-equality-set-for-review/

",,,The voters do not argue that legislatures should be forbidden ever to use total population as the districting measure, but only when it results in the kind of disparity, compared to a plan based on voters’ numbers, that resulted in Texas..."

And possibly by extension to rural counties nationwide. Cities have large populations. Populations that have a lower proportion of the people eligible to vote. Rural areas have smaller populations, but a larger proportion of people eligible to vote.

One result is that the voters from cities carry more weight. Not only because they have more people, but because the smaller proportion can claim more voting power.

Compare a Supervisor's District that has a head count population of 14,000 with 12,000 eligible to vote. A neighboring district also has a head count of 14,000, but fewer than 5,000 eligible to vote.

Which district is over represented based on number of voters and which district is under represented based on number of voters?
    • 2563 posts
    November 15, 2015 1:48:27 PM PST
    2Grands said:
    Dick - did your candidate lose int eh last election? SNIP. Why is it so hard for you to be more specific? I think this is why the supervisors meeting went south for you and caused your bitterness.

From my point of view, meeting with Supervisors when I gotj to the third Public commets period.

I tried to ask the three questions. I didn't even get the first words of my first question out of my mouth before I was gavelled down with the admonition, that the Supervisors weren't there to talk about Obamacare. I didn't ask about Obamacare. But, apparently Obamacare is what Supervisors think health care is.

As a refresher my three questions are: \

What is the defintion of health?

Using that definition, how do you measure health?

Using that measure, what are the top three health issues?

Are my comments and questions still too general?

• 2563 posts
    November 15, 2015 1:50:07 PM PST
    Clarification of the first sentence. I had already asked my three questions at two previous BOS meetings. Ignored both times. Third meeting, gaveled down as being out of order.
    • 4977 posts
    November 15, 2015 2:59:54 PM PST
    There was a large printed article about healthcare and various markers in Yuba County. Did it help you to answer your questions?
    Are you wanting the BOS to create some type of specific definition parameters?
    Is your beef with not getting the data you want or is your beef that the BOS haven't defined "Health" in a manner you would like to see? Please explain.

I have no comment about being gaveled down; I wasn't there. I know there is a process.
    • 2563 posts
    November 16, 2015 10:35:12 AM PST
    http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_green_how_we_can_make_the_world_a_better_place_by_2030

What is the target?

If there is no target, how do you know where to aim?
    • 2563 posts
    November 16, 2015 10:52:53 AM PST
    2Grands said:
    There was a large printed article about healthcare and various markers in Yuba County. Did it help you to answer your questions?
     If you are refering to Eric Vodden's Appeal Democrat story, yes it answered some questions. Not questions about the statistics. Did the story make an impression on the people of Yuba and Sutter County? What was the reaction of the Board?
    Are you wanting the BOS to create some type of specific definition parameters?
    Create a type of specific definition? No. Why reinvent the wheel? I would be satisfied if the BOS held a public discussion about the various comparisons that are already available. Robert Wood Johnson, Measure of America, California Department of Public Health. What I see in California's rural counties, including Yuba, is hiring a consultant from some where else. What the consultant seems to be tasked to do is to tell Yuba County how to cross the tees and dot the eyes to be eligible for grant money. Then spend the grant money on things which does not improve the health. What was the baseline health issue? What population has the health issue?
    Is your beef with not getting the data you want or is your beef that the BOS haven't defined "Health" in a manner you would like to see?
    The data is there. The defintions are there. The data is just not being used. Or if it is being used, it is being kept as a big secret. There are no adopted defintions that I can find. There are not targets. To me if you can't measure it, it doesn't exist. A generic it.
    Please explain. I have no comment about being gaveled down; I wasn't there. I know there is a process.
    I believe I followed the process of public comment to the best I could find. I spoke in the public comment period. I submitted several written requests. I visited offices and left wrtten questions.  I commented at several groups that have "health" in their title.
    My wife thinks I am pig headed and can't recognize when I'm being ignored. Some call me target fixated and think I sholuld get a life. I like to think of myself as persistant.
    • 2563 posts
    November 22, 2015 9:59:22 AM PST
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/opinion/sunday/dont-let-progress-on-tobacco-evaporate.html?emc=edit_th_20151122&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837
    That progress might well be slowed or reversed if Congress approves two riders attached to an appropriations bill for the 2016 fiscal year by a Republican-dominated House committee. One rider would cut in half the C.D.C.’s budget for tobacco control, from $216.5 million in 2015 to $105.5 million in 2016. That would almost certainly force the agency to eliminate its highly successful “TIPS From Former Smokers” media campaign, which has been a very cost-effective effort at persuading smokers to quit. The rider would also reduce federal financing to help states, tribes and territories reduce smoking and operate state “quitlines,” phone numbers people can call for help.

The Senate has a far more rational approach. The Appropriations Committee recommended the full $216.5 million for tobacco programs at the C.D.C. and did nothing to weaken the F.D.A.’s regulatory powers. Tobacco use remains the leading cause of preventable deaths in the United States. This is no time to slack off.
    • 2563 posts
    November 22, 2015 10:02:10 AM PST
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the elected supervisor was advised not to vote on a controversial issue since it would be a conflict of interest. In real life the supervisor sells a product that could be regarded as biased.
    • 873 posts
    November 22, 2015 4:00:48 PM PST
    DickBoyd said:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/opinion/sunday/dont-let-progress-on-tobacco-evaporate.html?emc=edit_th_20151122&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=66809837 That progress might well be slowed or reversed if Congress approves two riders attached to an appropriations bill for the 2016 fiscal year by a Republican-dominated House committee. One rider would cut in half the C.D.C.’s budget for tobacco control, from $216.5 million in 2015 to $105.5 million in 2016. That would almost certainly force the agency to eliminate its highly successful “TIPS From Former Smokers” media campaign, which has been a very cost-effective effort at persuading smokers to quit. 
    Just call me a crazy neo-con, but the government has no business wasting money to tell people weather they should be smoking or not. This is supposed to be a free country and if people want to smoke that's their business. I think everyone is pretty will aware of the health ramifications in this day and age!!
    • 362 posts
    November 22, 2015 8:09:54 PM PST
    The primary role of government should be to leave the people alone and let them live in peace free from the massive amount of bureaucrat regulations and the amount of taxes paid to unfair government employees to enforce those regulations.
    • 2563 posts
    December 2, 2015 7:41:22 AM PST
    http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa-homicide-vs-suicide
    Suicides are about two and a half times greater than homicides. 41,143 to 16,108. Should government report these statistics?
    • 4977 posts
    December 2, 2015 8:14:44 AM PST
    DickBoyd said:
    http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/usa-homicide-vs-suicide Suicides are about two and a half times greater than homicides. 41,143 to 16,108. Should government report these statistics?

From the above referenced website:

"OUR DATA: We use the most recent data from these primary sources: WHO, World Bank, UNESCO, CIA and individual country databases for global health and causes of death.We use the CDC, NIH and individual state and county databases for verification and supplementation for USA data.

Ummm, Dick....the government is reporting the statistics. Its where your website got their information, according to their footnote.